Monday, October 1, 2012

Battleground


Left Wausau, Wisconsin on Saturday but didn't get an A.M. start due to I wasn't in a hurry.  Got about 75 mi. south of Wausau before to leaves seemed green again and not as far into fall.
Long trip to Muncie so I planned on two days drive. I made a special effort to avoid Chicago so I headed for Rockford staying at least 60 mi outside Chicago's heart.  But no, I still encountered a $3.00 toll that was unavoidable to get south.  As the sun set in orange glows of Chicago smog the moon was already up and Full and quite a spectacle of itself although it seemed awful early!
One nite in a truck stop just to say I'm roughing it then on to Indiana to wait for the trees to color up. 


 Drove all the way to Bloomington, Ill. before heading east and as it turns out that was cool because it took me on a route to Lafayette, Indiana where my old alma mater is.  I didn't stop or go by Purdue per say but I did stop and a favorite spot just north.
 
  It is the Tippecanoe Battle Ground memorial and a beautiful park of old growth White Oak and hardwoods not often available in this day and age.  Years ago we would go to the old time fiddler's convention here during the summer.  What a perfect setting for a bluegrass convention.


 




 You can read about the battle between Governor William Henry Harrison of the Indiana Territory and Native American warriors associated with the Shawnee leader Tecumseh. Tecumseh and his brother Tenskwatawa (commonly known as "The Prophet") were leaders of a confederacy of Native Americans from various tribes that opposed U.S. expansion into Native territory. As tensions and violence increased, Governor Harrison marched with an army of about 1,000 men to disperse the confederacy's headquarters at Prophetstown, near the confluence of the Tippecanoe and Wabash Rivers.  (wikipedia)
But I was interested in the TREES


No comments:

Post a Comment