Thursday, September 27, 2012

Wisconsin North Woods


Left Sturgis, SD and arrived 500 mi. later in Worthington, MN.  This is a half way point to Wausau, WI where my bro is so I took a rest from driving and stayed on Lake Okabena at a park.  Decided to walk around the lake but it's cold and windy.  Found out they did the 2008 National windsurfing  championship here.  I hope it was warmer then.  Woke up early and it was 37 F.  Too windy for Kayaking so that blows that....so to speak.  Oh well, 5 mi. walk is enough for one day. Back on the road tomorrow.

Finally made it to Wausau and got settled in. D&J & I got re-acquainted and on monday hiked up their local ski mountain then watched the Seahawks and the Packers and what a weird ending.  That will forever be a sour apple for the NFL. I parked the motorhome at Marathon City Park and my morning view out the front window is this:
 Don & I went up to their lake property to  put it to bed for the winter and decided to go for a quick Kayak trip across the lake only to discover three mature eagles resting up in the white pine directly above us by the north shore.  Of course neither of us carried a camera.

   The fall colors are magnificent already and I'm just getting started. The lake is very secluded and pristine and the weather is clear and warm daytime so the trip was awesome.    There are a 'few' other lakes in the area (Land O Lakes, get it?) with back-roads running between them so I took a day to tour the area with the bike (and brought the camera) so you could get an idea.  you could take a picture of any one of dozens of these lakes and it would look like this...




                                       This however is the Wisconsin River


Maple Syrup anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand, there are no houses around those lakes. Did the state of WI actually manage the urban growth around lakes? Surely not...

    ReplyDelete